Monday, February 4, 2008

Customer Service Challenges

Last year, my college-age son saved up money and bought himself a Xbox 360 game console from Microsoft. Like apparently a large number of the things, his crashed and burned during the warranty period.

In mid-December, called Microsoft--no problem, we'll send a free shipping box so you can send it back to us. We shipped it off on Dec 15, should have it back fixed in 2-3 weeks. Sure...

In late December, I started calling their toll-free number. Computer voice: "Your repair ticket has been created and repairs should be completed within 10 to 15 business days." No way to talk to a human, an increasing condition of American business' customer service system. I found their e-mail address: "The information you seek must be provided by a customer service representative. You should call them at ..." My reply: How do I get to talk to a human to get that information? "The information you seek must be provided by a customer service representative. You should call them at ..."

Mid-January: I slip up and push a combination of numbers that leads to a human (I'm sure that'll be reworked to prevent it from happening again!) Apparently our Xbox never arrived. But, not to worry, since they chose the shipper, its their fault and they'll send a replacement within a week if I but fax a copy of the receipt the shipper gave me! Done and we wait! and wait... and wait...

I remembered the back door path to a human. (But first a recording: "Your repair ticket has been created and repairs should be completed within 10 to 15 business days.") On my second call, I talk to "Bev" (always get names; they may even be real ones). "I'm in the billing department, you need to talk to the hardware department." "What's their number?" "I can't give it out." Then don't complain that I call billing! But they can't give me any information because of a software upgrade problem! This is Microsoft.. they must use Vista...

An hour later, talk with Marina. They did receive the fax but they're waiting for my shipping address from customer service. "But you have my address in front of you." But it must come from this other department. Can I talk to a supervisor? Transfer to "Max", but after a 10-minute hold, I'm disconnected!

Try again... talk to "Helen" in billing, transferred to "Meg" in hardware. "I don't know if we got your fax." "'Marina' already told me that you did." "Oh, yes, there it is!" Hold on a minute...

And again... talk to "Trixie" and transferred to "Edward". "Don't you worry about a thing! You need to give us more time and be patient." No, I don't, why don't I call the state consumer affairs division tomorrow, elected officials love to fuss about Microsoft. Why don't you let me talk to a supervisor. "Toni" this time... "We need to give the shipping information from customer service, give us a few more days." What happened since January 18? "Don't know, [don't really care], I undestand how you are frustrated..." No, you don't, you just think you do! "I promise you'll get a call from "Max" or "Elyce" in 3 to 5 days." Fine, I'll expect to spend next Monday night on the phone. "I meant business days!" Okay, Monday night then if I don't hear from them.

A little bit of ethics here. Why have your customer service people make promises you have no thought of carrying out? No good reason comes to mind, just the desire to squeeze every last penny out of today's transaction, who cares if he never comes back again, it's just a stupid customer! I hope the employees are comfortable with what they say...

I had originally planned to post nice thoughts about a baptism we had at church yesterday, not this! Oh well... tomorrow is our pancake supper. No racing with pancakes, besides according to The Times, the historic race in Ripon, England, has been cancelled because of liability fears. Don't believe me? See for yourself! Sigh... happy Shrove Tuesday or Mardi Gras to all!

No comments: