Thursday, November 6, 2008

Election Aftermath

I voted for Senator McCain (and not against Senator Obama), but it was impossible not to be deeply moved by the transcendent joy felt by so many African-Americans at an election they understandably thought would never come.

My hope is that the Republican party can transform itself into a responsible opposition party which doesn't seem to hate large parts of the electorate--never a strategy for success.

My daughter was excited to vote for Obama and was understandably upset when people who knew her choice said cruel things to her, like she had stabbed the military in the back. (I told her that her father, a retired officer, didn't think that way. Besides, I bet most of the people who said that never were in the military themselves.) For my part, I've told her I know she voted different from me, but I raised her to think for herself.

I don't understand that way of thinking. I think we were fortunate at this time to have two decent, intelligent men from which to choose. I chose John McCain because I thought he would be better, but I don't fear Barack Obama. I know I won't agree with everything he says and does, but he was able to persuade a majority of the voters to give him the chance and he won fair and square. Good luck to him and to us all.

She and her husband are going to DC on Jan 20th. I have told her to dress warmly.

No comments: