Monday, June 16, 2008

Fathers' Day

This Fathers' Day has a particular poignancy as it is the first since the death of my father. It felt odd not getting a card to send. (I did hear from my children, not to mention my wife and my mother-in-law. After my April heart attack, I'm actually grateful to be here for Fathers' Day!)

Here's an extra prayer we said in church for Fathers' Day:

Loving God, whom we also call Father, we pray for our own Fathers and all those who are father figures to us. We thank you for their wisdom and care for us. We bless you for their strength and patience. Bless them with peace and joy as we honour them all the days of their life. May they, like the men in the scriptures and Joseph, the foster father of Jesus, be just and true. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments: