Thursday, March 6, 2008

Health Insurance

Last December, I did something many men of my age do--I had a colonoscopy at our local hospital. An easy procedure, back home by noon, with excellent results.

Why do I bring this up now? A couple of days ago, I got a statement from my insurance company that the hospital had billed them $2,900! Add to that the doctor's bill and we're up to $3,800. (I still expect an anesthesiologist's bill.) Because of my insurance, I only had to pay $15. But here's what bothers me. The medical community says that colonoscopies are essential for early detection of colon cancer; without them, you can die of it. But, even with a salary well above the national average, I would be struggling mightily to pay a $3,800 bill for a diagnostic procedure. People farther down the economic ladder can't even dream of it. I have trouble with a healthcare system that says this is acceptable.

According to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 47 million Americans (and 9 million children) lack health insurance coverage. Here in Georgia, over 17% lack coverage, above the national average. My former home state of Texas is #1 (or perhaps #50) at 23.9%!

The Roman Catholic Church has stated "Health care is fundamental to a healthy, flourishing society–it is not a product or commodity. When people have unmet health needs, it is difficult for them to fully function as members of their families, their workplaces or their schools, which then affects the broader community and economy." They believe that a moral health care system should be
  • Available and accessible to everyone, paying special attention to the poor and vulnerable;
  • Health and prevention oriented, with the goal of enhancing the heath status of communities;
  • Sufficiently and fairly financed;
  • Transparent and consensus-driven in allocation of resources and organized for cost-effective care and administration

Even though it could be said that I benefit from this system, I'm not comfortable with it. Where's the morality in this? If we call ourselves Christians, where's our concern for God's justice on behalf of those in need?

No comments: